published: 26.11.2009, 16:37 | updated: 26.11.2009 16:47:56
Havana - The two Czech men who were sentenced to eight months in Cuba
and expelled for a breach of the peace earlier this month have been
released, Petra Jecinova, from the Czech embassy in Cuba, has told CTK.
One of them left Cuba on Wednesday, the other one is waiting for a flight.
The men, aged 25 and 32, were in Cuba for a two-week holiday.
They were drunk when they arrived at the Havana airport and they
continued to drink at the airport as well.
The other passengers at the airport and later also the guards disliked
their rather hysterical behaviour.
The guards told them that they cannot embark the plane in this
condition, which led to a dispute and the guards eventually took the men
out of the airport lounge.
The two men were detained on March 22 and so their eight-month
punishment expired last weekend because custody also counts in the
One of them was also sentenced to the payment of an equivalent of 1600
crowns for the damage inflicted.
After release from prison, the two men were taken to the immigration
centre because their were expelled from Cuba. They waited there for a
flight with which they arrived in Cuba, that is from Havana to London.
Both Czechs convicted of breach of the peace in Cuba released -
ČeskéNoviny.cz (26 November 2009)