Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Teen idol Adam Faith claimed to be ‘MI6 spy sent to Cuba’ in new book by close friend

THE SPY WHO SANG TO ME Teen idol Adam Faith claimed to be 'MI6 spy sent
to Cuba' in new book by close friend
Music producer David Courtney says the Sixties singer and actor was
tapped up by British spooks because of his business connections on the
Caribbean island
By George Sandeman
12th March 2017, 10:16 am Updated: 12th March 2017, 10:18 am

SIXTIES teen idol Adam Faith worked as an MI6 spy in Cuba, it has been
claimed.

The multi-talented singer and actor, who died at the age of 62 in 2003,
was said to have been tapped up by the British secret service because of
his business connections on the Caribbean island.
The claims have been made in a new book published by close friend David
Courtney, a music producer, who said he met Faith while the star was
having a meeting with a spook at the Savoy hotel in London.

He told The Sunday Times: "[Faith] called me to one side and asked me to
sit at a table across the way while he continued his meeting.

"I could see he had become more animated with his hands and nodding his
head. After about 15 minutes he waved over to me to join them. The guy
in question was a very pleasant unassuming chap. We talked for a while
and he left.

"I said to Adam 'What was that all about?' 'Well,' he said, 'I am going
to tell you something but you must never repeat it.' I agreed. 'I have
been filming a travelogue series for the BBC in Cuba, and that guy is
from MI6.

"'They approached me and said they knew I had built up connections in
Havana and asked me to do some work for them there, basically spy for
them in preparation for the post-Castro era.'"

The meeting was understood to have taken place ahead of a 1997 trip to
the Communist island which was in the process of opening up following
the fall of the Soviet Union six years earlier.

Faith was tapped up because of his business dealings on the Caribbean island
Courtney, who discovered Leo Sayer and also worked with Paul McCartney,
Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page, is currently writing his memoirs and said
that Faith told him he was "crapping himself with fear" about the
dictator knowing he had spoken to MI6.

He said that Faith told him about being shown into a room where Castro
was seated behind a grand desk. "He looked up at me and said, 'I know
you.' He held up a copy of my first record in his hand and said to me in
broken English: 'What do you want if you don't want money?'"

Courtney said Faith never told him about what he did specifically for
MI6 but the music producer is convinced his friend, real name Terence
Nelhams-Wright, was telling the truth about Castro.

Source: Teen idol Adam Faith claimed to be 'MI6 spy sent to Cuba' in new
book by close friend -
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3070668/teen-idol-adam-faith-claimed-to-be-mi6-spy-sent-to-cuba-in-new-book-by-close-friend/

No comments: