Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Waiting Desperately in Cuba

Waiting Desperately in Cuba
March 10, 2015
Warhol P

HAVANA TIMES — Many are the questions being asked by people with whom
I've had the opportunity to converse about the issue of
telecommunications in Cuba.

Most are wondering whether all citizens will be able to have a landline
at home in the not-so-distant future, and whether we will have
unrestricted and cheap Internet access any time soon, so as to find out
what Google, Facebook, Instagram and other sites that now seem out of
this world are all about.

The truth of the matter is that, as things are discussed, time passes
and changes come so slowly that many are becoming desperate. It's also
true that all things require time and it would be impossible to make
these services available overnight, with a snap of the fingers – in
addition to time, a whole lot of money is also needed.

Personally, I believe this will be achieved gradually with the aid of
our former (and I stress "former") enemy and of glorious China.

On a news program, I recently heard that mobile phones and tablets would
start to be assembled in the country. I hope these are made available to
the people and that prices are affordable. The tablets I've seen at our
stores cost 150 Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) and offer a lousy 1 Gb
storage capacity.

I don't have a phone right now, and I certainly can't afford to buy one
priced at 500 or 600 CUC, so I've declared a cell-phone strike until
prices go down.

I hope to god it happens soon, for communication is important, don't you
think?

Source: Waiting Desperately in Cuba - Havana Times.org -
http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=109859

No comments: