Pages

Friday, March 06, 2015

The Same Script for Every Dissident

The Same Script for Every Dissident / Angel Santiesteban
Posted on March 4, 2015

Hector Maseda after his release, with his wife Laura Pollán, founder of
the Ladies in White, who later died under circumstances still being
questioned.

Ángel Santiesteban-Prats, Border Guard Prison Unit, Havana, February
2015 — February 12th will be four years since the release of the last
prisoners belonging to the group of 75 arrested in that fateful "Black
Spring" of 2003.

History and Memory are two spaces that in time unite. I remembered
Hector Maseda telling me about the pressures he received those final
days to abandon the county. The way in which the political police have
pressured me is similar to what Maseda told me about At times I feel I
am in the same mold, they've only changed the people, to my honor.

On more than one occasion Maseda came to see me in the Lawton jail.
There, I had finally heard his voice and a powerful force entered me. He
said words to me that out of humility I would be incapable of repeating,
and coming from someone whom I admire and respect, I will keep them in
my memory for the rest of my days; but right now I could restart my
imprisonment.

I feel such strength as at the beginning thanks the spirit of those who
have sacrificed their lives, and those who are still willing and
accompany me with their breath.

As José Martí said, "honor is happiness and strength," which like a
blanket, my brothers in the struggle cover me with.

Source: The Same Script for Every Dissident / Angel Santiesteban |
Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/the-same-script-for-every-dissident-angel-santiesteban/

No comments: