Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Spanish man convicted in Cuba in death of activist Oswaldo Paya recounts ordeal in visit to Miami

Spanish man convicted in Cuba in death of activist Oswaldo Paya recounts
ordeal in visit to Miami
BY NORA GÁMEZ TORRES NGAMEZTORRES@ELNUEVOHERALD.COM
10/11/2014 12:06 AM 10/11/2014 12:24 AM

HERALD STAFF
Angel Carromero was emphatic during his visit to Miami on Friday: "What
happened on July 22 wasn't an accident, it was an assault," he said.

The young Spanish lawyer was sentenced to four years in jail in the
deaths of opposition figures Oswaldo Payá and Harold Cepero in a car
crash near the Cuban city of Bayamo on July 22, 2012. His fate was
decided in a Cuban courtroom because of his alleged role as the driver
of the car in which they traveled en route to Santiago de Cuba. Although
Cuba insisted the wreck was a car accident, others said State Security
agents had been following the car and were responsible.

Carromero was found guilty in a trial he describes as full of
contradictions, in his book Death under Suspicion, which he is currently
promoting in the United States after obtaining a special permit to do
so. Cuba eventually released Carromero to Spain to serve out his term.

Another key witness in the case, Jens Aron Modig continues to remain
quiet. The Swiss delegate was also traveling in the car with Carromero
but was quickly repatriated to his homeland due to a supposed pact of
silence.

However, Carromero decided to speak up a few months after returning to
Spain.

On Friday afternoon, he attended a Miami Herald editorial board meeting
and displayed a multitude of video stills from footage belonging to the
Cuban government. Carromero explained that this footage was used by
Cuban authorities to produce a video aimed at convincing the public that
an accident provoked by him was the true cause behind the death of one
of the main leaders of the Cuban opposition.

In the photos, which were also presented at his trial in Cuba, it can be
clearly seem that the details of the car and location of the accident
change inexplicably. In one set of photos, the crashed car has a bumper
on it; in another it doesn't. The car in the images is sometimes a blue
Hyundai on grass; in others, it is on sand or near a small river.

Carromero, who is an advisor of Madrid's City Council and the director
of the New Generations of the Popular Party in Madrid, pinpointed other
inconsistencies in the case.

The three witnesses who testified, despite remembering exactly at which
speed the car was traveling, couldn't, however, specify who took out the
four people who had been inside the car. They also didn't remember the
white car that Carromero claims almost "appeared out of thin air" and
took him to a hospital in Bayamo, which was soon after "militarized."

He also remembers that in the Cuban video in which he is shown
incriminating himself he has his shirt buttoned in some takes and
unbuttoned in others, something he did to prove that the video was
staged and not a spontaneous confession.

Carromero claimed to speak with a "clear conscience" about the trial,
among other topics. Here are some questions and answers Friday.

What arguments were presented at trial to sentence you?

The formula used to sentence me and to calculate the speed at which the
car supposedly traveled has no validity, it's the one of rectilinear
motion uniformly accelerated.

This movement doesn't exist and doesn't account for the acceleration
made when you brake, the friction. ..l The international experts
contacted by my lawyers broke all of this down. Experts from the CUJAE
(Cuba's University of Engineering) said it was nonsense.

Did those experts go to the trial?

In Cuba, if they accuse you, you're sentenced. Cuban legislation doesn't
allow for experts to come and testify. This doesn't happen in countries
which are not dictatorships.

Did you have access to documents relating to your case?

I never saw the report of my case. They didn't give my defense lawyer a
copy. The lawyers has to travel from Havana to Bayamo to transcribe 800
documents by hand. Why didn't they give them a copy the way it's done in
all cases? Because they knew that when they copied it that the documents
would make it out of Cuba and the case would be read. The drawings of
the supposed tests which they had done to me to accuse me had to be done
by hand too, like children. You can laugh, but it's not a joke.

When did you send that text message stating, "Help! We're surrounded by
military men"?

They let us keep our cellphones at the beginning of our stay in the
hospital in Bayamo but later on they took them from us. I sent that text
when I was in my hospital bed surrounded by military men. In that
moment, they had obligated me to change my version of the story and were
filming me with a handycam and I knew it was going to end badly.

The first thing he said was that they had run us off the road and had
hit us. This made them nervous, and they hit me. Later on a Cuban
official who introduced himself as an expert told me the version that I
was to repeat: that I pressed the brake pedal and "fell in an
embankment." In Spain this has another meaning and the phrasing of the
words is different too.

Was Modig sleeping when the accident happened as he has alleged in
interviews?

There were times when he was asleep but he was the copilot. If he chose
to remain quiet and turn the page, well I don't share in that sentiment.
I respect it but I've chosen a more complicated road and one with worse
consequences for me but I couldn't stay silent.

Has it been a long time since you last spoke to him?

Yes. The last time he came to Spain he simply told me he didn't remember
anything.

How did you find out about the deaths of Payá and Cepero?

I asked in the hospital and in the interrogation in Bayamo they told me
about it again.

At what speed where you traveling when all this happened?

Well, I don't remember the speed, but whoever has been in Cuba knows
that on the main highway, even if you want to, you can't go too fast
because it's full of potholes. Also it was a rental car and didn't work
so well. I was with Rosa Maria [Payá] yesterday and we remembered that
the day before the trip we were about to cancel it because the car
didn't accelerate well.

At the time you traveled to Cuba was your driver's license in good standing?

Yes. Not even my family or my friends could defend me in Spain because
otherwise I wouldn't have been able to return. The leftist party and the
Cuban government took advantage of that silence to try to destroy my
credibility. So, I took the heat from the media on my own.

In the book you're very blunt about why you filmed those videos in which
you take the blame ...

There's something very clear here, I was surrounded by soldiers, in a
loathsome dungeon-like cell without access to lawyers and without being
able to call anybody. I was alone and at the mercy of what the soldiers
wanted to do to me. This is in Cuba, not a country with rights, and so
they told me that if I collaborate, that they'll let me go.

What were you afraid of the most?

Of them killing me. They can do with you whatever they want. You have no
cellphone, no outside contact, you're in a dictatorship. It was
collaborate and do what I'm told or I wouldn't be here with you today.
It's like a video from al-Qaida, my face was swollen and I could barely
speak. ...

In which jails were you?

I was in Bayamo and later I was moved to Cien and Aldabo, it's an
instructional jail. They stick you in there until you confess, and if
not, they won't let you out. I was there until November in a cell in
which they'd take me out once a day every two or three weeks. It was
psychologically trying and I clung on to the fact that I wanted to go
back and that if I did, I wanted to be well and I did it.

What did you do in jail?

Think. Think about my family and friends. Try to keep feeling alive,
part of my life. Think about what I'd be doing if I was with my loved
ones. I tried to not let the isolation they imposed on me affect me. I
don't know if it's mental tricks or what but it helped me.

Did councilmen come see you at your jail cell?

Of course, they didn't let me out but a slew of military men passed by
there. They talked to me and told me that Cuba was gorgeous. Of course,
I had to act docile towards them because they were my captors and the
ones who brought me food. It's difficult. I also fought with myself over
that.

But on trial, despite having been docile, you decided to say you were
innocent.

Of course, because the regime created a friction and did so in such a
bad way that there were elements to defend myself from their version of
the facts. My lawyers told me to declare myself innocent because even
with their version they had proof to show that I was innocent. It was
also an act of rebellion on my part, even though later I regretted it
because an official threatened me. It's complicated to act without
consulting anyone. One day they told me that I hadn't support from my
party and my government. I lived in a contradiction, without knowing,
and making decisions blindly is very hard.

When did you have that initial contact with the Spanish embassy?

When I was in Bayamo, the Swiss ambassador and the auxiliary consul from
Spain. The ambassador manages to have her national sent home with her
and the Spanish consulate just asks me how I'm doing and doesn't provide
me with any further instruction.

It's also strange that they sent an auxiliary consul.

They told me that they tried to treat it as a case between consulates,
but from that first moment, they didn't send an ambassador and only sent
an auxiliary consul.

Why did the Nacional Audience in Spain disregard a petition to
investigate the death of Oswaldo Payá, who was a Spanish citizen?

My return to Spain wasn't free. The Cuban government isn't stupid and
got a lot out of my return. One of the conditions they put was that the
Spanish government has to accept the validity of my sentence and can't
revise my case. This was part of a prisoner extradition treaty that both
governments signed.

Can Spanish authorities pardon you?

Yes, but they have to communicate that to Cuba first.

Source: Spanish man convicted in Cuba in death of activist Oswaldo Paya
recounts ordeal in visit to Miami | The Miami Herald -
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article2674868.html

No comments: