Pages

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Thunder, Radios and Lightning / Rebeca Monzo

Thunder, Radios and Lightning / Rebeca Monzo
Rebeca Monzo, Translator: Espirituana

On my planet almost everything is difficult to obtain , but one of the
most difficult is information – no small thing! It is said that
information is power, so you can imagine how weak is our power.

The sale of short-wave radios is prohibited. They are not to be found in
any home appliance store. If you ask, they will just say that they have
not come, as if talking of an unexpected visit.

I myself own one that a friend kindly gave me a few years ago. With it,
I can find radio stations from other countries, but Radio Martí* –
impossible!, at least in Havana. I know that some friends outside the
capital manage to pick up the signal. Here, when you find it, it comes
accompanied by the tac tac of the interference, which can leave you deaf
or an idiot. I have tried hard to disregard the noise, but it's
impossible – the headache you get prevents it. I would like to be able
to listen at least to the news, which ultimately is the most important
thing. But it is precisely about that, about preventing you from hearing
them, so that the truth broadcast by our media will prevail, being the
only source of information.

But there is a way you can listen to Radio Martí when there is rain,
thunder or lightning. Then, as soon as the storm starts I run to turn on
my radio. Sure enough, I manage to hear it, but also under a stressful
state of panic of being hit by a bolt of lightning that would be
attracted by my dear little device's waves. When its programming started
some years ago , I could hear it perfectly on an old radio on which I
would tune to Radio Rebelde*, and physically turning it from one side to
the other I would finally manage to have its signal prevail, and it
would accompany me in my workshop during my long work hours. So much so
that I acquired an addiction to its programs, but like all my previous
ones – Coca Cola and cherry bonbons – I was forced to give it up, with
the inherent consequences and suffering that, for a while, accompany
those who quit a bad habit. Now I am afraid that if I am able to
overcome my fear, I will become addicted to thunder and lightning.

* Translator's Note: Radio Martí is a US government-financed radio
station broadcasting to Cuba. Radio Rebelde is a Cuban government station.

Translated by: Espirituana

October 6 2011

http://translatingcuba.com/?p=12104

No comments: